Is 5’8.5-5’8.75 short?
Are men who are over 5’8” but lower than 5’9” regarded as short in America?
No it's just under average. Most Americans think it's short because of people inflating their height.
Its not short it only seems short on paper because of height inflation like the user said above. It is only an inch below average. It is around 40 percentile which is not that bad.
(06-28-2018, 07:54 PM)Ja533 Wrote: Its not short it only seems short on paper because  of height inflation like the user said above. It is only an inch below average. It is around 40 percentile which is not that bad.

Yeah not far off it. Average american male is 5'9.2 so not even a full inch under. 

It won't look short on the street or anything like that.
It's definitely regarded as short but is it really? I'm 5'8.5 and I feel pretty normal. The problem is most men who claim to be 5'8-5'9 are actually 5'6-5'7 and sometimes even 5'5! There's no doubt that we're under average but like John said we really don't stand out as the short guys on the streets.
Rob from celebheights is shorter than that but he doesn't look that short. When he was asked a similar question he said that he feels just under average. He didn't say he feels short. And the British average height is roughly the same as the America's.
I am a 5'8.75" American. I don't feel short and people don't call me short either.