Poll: At what height are you noticed as the tall guy?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
5’11.5 or less
0%
0 0%
6’0”
11.76%
2 11.76%
6’0.5”
11.76%
2 11.76%
6’1”
41.18%
7 41.18%
6’1.5”
17.65%
3 17.65%
6’2”
17.65%
3 17.65%
6’2.5”
0%
0 0%
6’3”
0%
0 0%
6’3.5”
0%
0 0%
6’4” or more
0%
0 0%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

At what height are you noticed as the tall guy in social situations?
Same as the short thread but with tall.
Assuming we're not in Northern Europe or the Balkans, a six footer is generally tall (both in terms of perception and statistics) outside of athletics. I would even go as far to say that some guys in the 5'11" range can be seen tall or "tallish" depending on social context, body proportions, and build (I have a 5'11" friend with a 150 lbs. athletic build and long legs and arms who is regularly seen as tall).

At a strong 6 foot (185 cm in the morning and 183.5 cm at midnight) I have always been referred to as tall or "kinda tall" in the US and even when I lived in Belgium. In the West, I am usually taller than ~85% of men I come across. However, I felt rather average or maybe slightly above in the Netherlands and Northern Germany. When I'm in Asia, I am often one of the tallest, if not the tallest, person in most contexts. There are lot of young Asians (especially in South Korea and Northern China) reaching the 5'10"-5'11" range (probably 80th-90th percentile in those countries) but men 5'11" and over are rare (kind of like the equivalent of men 6'2" and over being uncommon in the US). A 6 footer in Asia would be the equivalent of a 6'3" man in the US.

With that said, I am Asian and very slim (155 lbs., <10% body fat) with lanky proportions, so that may affect how my height is perceived by others. I'm curious as to what you guys think.
Tricky question. 5'11.5" onwards is tall but would a 5'11.5" guy really stand out as tall? No way, not in the western world. I dare say that a 6'0.5" guy wouldn't stand out as a tall guy either even though he's much taller than average. You need to be 6'1" or taller to make an impression I think.
The question is a little vague. 6 footers are tall but they don't stand out at all in a crowd. I assume that's what you mean by "getting noticed as the tall guy." If so then I say 6'2".
(06-09-2018, 03:22 AM)AndrewW Wrote: Assuming we're not in Northern Europe or the Balkans, a six footer is generally tall (both in terms of perception and statistics) outside of athletics. I would even go as far to say that some guys in the 5'11" range can be seen tall or "tallish" depending on social context, body proportions, and build (I have a 5'11" friend with a 150 lbs. athletic build and long legs and arms who is regularly seen as tall).

At a strong 6 foot (185 cm in the morning and 183.5 cm at midnight) I have always been referred to as tall or "kinda tall" in the US and even when I lived in Belgium. In the West, I am usually taller than ~85% of men I come across. However, I felt rather average or maybe slightly above in the Netherlands and Northern Germany. When I'm in Asia, I am often one of the tallest, if not the tallest, person in most contexts. There are lot of young Asians (especially in South Korea and Northern China) reaching the 5'10"-5'11" range (probably 80th-90th percentile in those countries) but men 5'11" and over are rare (kind of like the equivalent of men 6'2" and over being uncommon in the US). A 6 footer in Asia would be the equivalent of a 6'3" man in the US.

With that said, I am Asian and very slim (155 lbs., <10% body fat) with lanky proportions, so that may affect how my height is perceived by others. I'm curious as to what you guys 
For men in Northern China, the average height is 5'9"-5'10". There's 2012 data on the heights of a lot of the northern provinces in China and the young junior high school kids and older kids are getting taller and taller. The 5'9"-5'10" is actually 50th percentile. At 6 ft you're tall, but there's easily going to be a lot of 6 ft or taller kids in Dalian or Shandong. In 2020, there will be a report on height growth and seeing if there's been any leaps in regards to height. Korean men are between 5'8.5"-5'9". There's military conscription data showing the heights of the men as all the men get checked for height and weight.
(06-11-2018, 08:45 PM)smoothrunz Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 03:22 AM)AndrewW Wrote: Assuming we're not in Northern Europe or the Balkans, a six footer is generally tall (both in terms of perception and statistics) outside of athletics. I would even go as far to say that some guys in the 5'11" range can be seen tall or "tallish" depending on social context, body proportions, and build (I have a 5'11" friend with a 150 lbs. athletic build and long legs and arms who is regularly seen as tall).

With that said, I am Asian and very slim (155 lbs., <10% body fat) with lanky proportions, so that may affect how my height is perceived by others. I'm curious as to what you guys 
For men in Northern China, the average height is 5'9"-5'10". There's 2012 data on the heights of a lot of the northern provinces in China and the young junior high school kids and older kids are getting taller and taller. The 5'9"-5'10" is actually 50th percentile. At 6 ft you're tall, but there's easily going to be a lot of 6 ft or taller kids in Dalian or Shandong. In 2020, there will be a report on height growth and seeing if there's been any leaps in regards to height. Korean men are between 5'8.5"-5'9". There's military conscription data showing the heights of the men as all the men get checked for height and weight.

If the average man in Northern China is 5'9"-5'10" then why is 5'9-5'10" Xi Jinping regarded as tall?

Also why did you change your height from 6ft 3.25in to 6ft 7in?

Rolleyes
(06-11-2018, 08:50 PM)heinz Wrote:

If the average man in Northern China is 5'9"-5'10" then why is 5'9-5'10" Xi Jinping regarded as tall?

Rolleyes
Messed up on the typing to be honest fam. The point still stands. If you want data, I can show you.
(06-11-2018, 08:45 PM)smoothrunz Wrote: For men in Northern China, the average height is 5'9"-5'10". There's 2012 data on the heights of a lot of the northern provinces in China and the young junior high school kids and older kids are getting taller and taller. The 5'9"-5'10" is actually 50th percentile. At 6 ft you're tall, but there's easily going to be a lot of 6 ft or taller kids in Dalian or Shandong. In 2020, there will be a report on height growth and seeing if there's been any leaps in regards to height. Korean men are between 5'8.5"-5'9". There's military conscription data showing the heights of the men as all the men get checked for height and weight.

If the average is 5'9-5'10, then why is the President of the People's Republic considered tall at 5'10" ?  Also nice ninja height change  Wink .
(06-11-2018, 08:50 PM)heinz Wrote: If the average man in Northern China is 5'9"-5'10" then why is 5'9-5'10" Xi Jinping regarded as tall?

Rolleyes

(06-12-2018, 12:08 AM)luro98 Wrote: If the average is 5'9-5'10, then why is the President of the People's Republic considered tall at 5'10" ?  Also nice ninja height change  Wink .

Dude, why are you repeating what he said. Huh
(06-12-2018, 12:36 AM)john24 Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 08:50 PM)heinz Wrote: If the average man in Northern China is 5'9"-5'10" then why is 5'9-5'10" Xi Jinping regarded as tall?

Rolleyes

(06-12-2018, 12:08 AM)luro98 Wrote: If the average is 5'9-5'10, then why is the President of the People's Republic considered tall at 5'10" ?  Also nice ninja height change  Wink .

Dude, why are you repeating what he said. Huh
A typo error bruh. Xi Jinping may be considered tall in Southern China but Northern China hell no lol. Kids in Dalian, Shandong, Heilongjiang, and Liaoning would be his height or taller than him. I heard that remark from the locals but looking at the actual height data of the Chinese urban high school kids in the Northern provinces he would blend right in. The reason Asian guys get the "short" stereotype is because immigration to the west came from the SOUTHERN CHINESE where they are shorter on average plus malnutrition, famine, war and so forth. Look up the height data on china next to Dalian on wikipedia from 2012 and their average shows 177.4 cm or around 5'10" average. The tallest Asian people are from the Northeastern areas of China and the Khampa Tibetans at a average of 5'11".

I agree with you that the average is around 5'9" to 5'10" in some parts of urban Northern China and ~5'9" in Korea, but the standard deviation is much lower in those countries than in the west; young men tend to cluster closer to the average. According to one of the studies conducted by the Korean army on the heights of young male conscripts, the standard deviation was 5.16cm/2 inches with an average height of 173.5 cm. At 180cm/5'11", you would already be around the 90th percentile for young Korean men.
Here is the source from wikipedia for the average height of young male Korean conscripts: https://sizekorea.kr/

The average height is 173.5 cm/5'8.3" (the highest recorded average) for 20-24 year old Korean men with a standard deviation of 5.16 cm/2 inches. At 184 cm, I would be in the 97th-98th percentile of height for young Korean men, which seems pretty accurate in my experience. When I was in Seoul a couple of years ago, I observed that maybe 1 in 40 or 1 in 50 men were as tall or taller than me. There are a lot of guys in the 177 cm-180 cm/5'10-5'11 range but men over that range become increasingly rare with every centimeter. Keep in mind that as a well developed country, the average height for Koreans is now stagnant.

There was a study conducted in 2012 on the height of urban students in the Northern Chinese province of Liaoning: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5293124239
18 year old males there stood at an average of 177 cm/5'9.7" with a standard deviation of 3.8 cm/1.5 inches. A 183 cm/6 foot man would be over the 90th percentile of height there. Interestingly though, those younger than 18 had higher standard deviations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what height will you get noticed as "the short guy" in social situations? luro98 7 475 06-15-2018, 12:33 AM
Last Post: zeru02
Lightbulb I noticed something while watching Borat crux777 13 955 02-14-2018, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Valorzeal33
  Social anxiety because of height easternwind 3 450 12-27-2017, 01:58 AM
Last Post: SFTS
  At what height does social stigma become a daily occurrence? luro98 3 472 12-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Last Post: darwin
  Ever noticed how 5'6" seems like the shortest acceptable height for a man? luro98 4 499 11-26-2017, 04:37 AM
Last Post: bananas