Does going from 5'8 to 5'9 really change people's perception of you (for men)?
So now I'm 20 and 5'9, and I stopped growing at 17-18 after gaining an inch. When I was 5'8" at 16 and was referred to as short a few times, and felt a little bit short if I didn't wear a decent sole. Now that i've gained an inch, people, it seems like I am viewed as a man of average stature much more frequently than slightly short/on the short side, and I don't have to be as aware of the shoes i'm wearing or get any height related comments. Does 5'8>5'9 make that much of a difference in perception?
(04-08-2018, 08:54 PM)MediumAltitude Wrote: So now I'm 20 and 5'9, and I stopped growing at 17-18 after gaining an inch. When I was 5'8" at 16 and was referred to as short a few times, and felt a little bit short if I didn't wear a decent sole. Now that i've gained an inch, people, it seems like I am viewed as a man of average stature much more frequently than slightly short/on the short side, and I don't have to be as aware of the shoes i'm wearing or get any height related comments. Does 5'8>5'9 make that much of a difference in perception?

Yes an inch is quite significant especially when you're in the 5'8"-6'0" range, because that's where most men are
(04-08-2018, 11:52 PM)EricBosch Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 08:54 PM)MediumAltitude Wrote: So now I'm 20 and 5'9, and I stopped growing at 17-18 after gaining an inch. When I was 5'8" at 16 and was referred to as short a few times, and felt a little bit short if I didn't wear a decent sole. Now that i've gained an inch, people, it seems like I am viewed as a man of average stature much more frequently than slightly short/on the short side, and I don't have to be as aware of the shoes i'm wearing or get any height related comments. Does 5'8>5'9 make that much of a difference in perception?

5'8"-6'0" range, because that's where most men are

*most young white men
It certainly does. An inch wouldn't make much of a difference for someone like me or for a really tall guy but it's very noticable when you're close to the average height. Compare Mark Wahlberg, Zac Efron or Jeremy Renner with Jamie Foxx. At 5'8", the first 3 actors are considered to be short but Jamie Foxx isn't, even though he's only a inch taller.
(04-12-2018, 12:42 PM)captaint Wrote: It certainly does. An inch wouldn't make much of a difference for someone like me or for a really tall guy but it's very noticable when you're close to the average height. Compare Mark Wahlberg, Zac Efron or Jeremy Renner with Jamie Foxx. At 5'8", the first 3 actors are considered to be short but Jamie Foxx isn't, even though he's only a inch taller.

Most of those guys are below 5''8, and celebrities are much taller than average. In the real world, 5'8 isn't short

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans could be shrunk to explore alien planets and to reduce climate change cory steiner 3 347 12-26-2017, 05:24 PM
Last Post: avalanche
Shocked Perception of Height TripleJ 5 658 07-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Last Post: taliapoe